When do I arrive at camp?
- Registration begins at noon on Sunday, July 15, 2018. Please arrive no later than 12:40 p.m. as registration will end at 1 p.m. and we will walk over to campus for the opening assembly.
Where do I arrive?
- Registration is at the Holiday Inn Manhattan at The Campus located at 1641 Anderson Avenue, right across the street from Kansas State University.
How many are in each hotel room?
- Student rooms are quad occupancy.
Can I request a roommate from my school or other schools?
- You can request roommates of the same sex on the registration form. If you register without a roommate request, one will be assigned to you by workshop staff. When we assign roommates, we keep same-sex students, preferably from the same school, enrolled in the same track, and/or from the same grade together. All rooms feature two queen-size beds.
What should I bring?
- Clothing/personal items
- It never fails that this camp falls on one of the hottest weeks of the year. We will be walking outside as we transition from hotel to the campus. Bring comfortable clothes for the heat but we also recommend a light jacket or sweatshirt for our time spend indoors during sessions. Rooms get quite cool.
- Bring a good pair of walking shoes/bowling shoes. We also plan on having some fun outside with team building games.
- Lastly, bring a swimming suit. We have an ice cream social poolside at the hotel. There’s nothing better after a hot summer day than ice cream and swimming.
- Classroom Supplies
- Make sure to bring typical school supplies. A notebook, writing utensils, etc…
- Many of the sessions will be working out of a computer labs. Bringing files on a USB flash drive would be most helpful. Also, you’ll want to have the drive to store files to take back with you.
- Bring copies of your school’s publications to share.
- Photographers-bring a camera and the gear you normally use during a photo assignment at school. Design track students-bring 3-5 magazines per student to help with design inspiration.
What will I eat?
- Your tuition pays for breakfast Monday and Tuesday mornings, catered lunches on Monday and Tuesday and buffet dinners Sunday and Monday nights at the Holiday Inn. Aside from these main meals, you can bring snacks of your own to keep in your hotel room.
What if I have to arrive late or early to camp?
- If you have to arrive after 1 p.m. on Sunday, please contact the workshop director, Spencer O’Daniel — email@example.com or 316-390-0144 for cell. We will make arrangements for you to drop your luggage off at the hotel and have a camp counselor available to escort you to catch up to the group.
- If you have to arrive before 12 p.m. on Sunday, you can let the workshop director know and wait in the lobby area of the hotel until registration begins.
Can I leave the workshop early?
- The Flint Hills Publications Workshop ends at 3:30/3:45 p.m. on Tuesday. If you need to leave the camp early, you must bring a letter from a parent specifying when you will leave and who will pick you up. Give this letter to the workshop director at registration.
My family wants to visit during camp? Can I go see them?
- Our camp is packed with activities for the short time you are in town. Please keep any visits from family or friends to a time before the camp starts or after the camp ends.
Can I drive to or during camp?
- Though we allow students to drive to camp we recommend finding other means of travel. At no time can a student operate a vehicle during the workshop. Any student breaking this rule will be sent home immediately.
What if I can’t make it to camp? Will I get a refund?
- There will be no refund for cancellations after June 15th. At that point, we have already entered into contract with hotels and catering services and have accounted for your attendance.
What is the schedule?
- We have a tentative schedule posted here.
What classes are offered?
- You can see a full listing of classes with course distractions here